Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day

A rather lovely treat after my exciting weekend with my mommy was that Monday was Labor Day, and we had the day off. (Mom took Tuesday off, too, but I'm not going to dwell on my jealousy regarding her four-day weekend.) Matt and I had a quiet breakfast together Monday morning: the usual eggs and toast and tea on the back porch. Matt was supposed to practice flipping eggs in the pan (over easy) but cheated and flipped them with not one but TWO spatulas. Cheater! Although, it's pretty ironic that I am the one with culinary interests and Matt will be the one able to wear the chef's toque blanche.

Shortly after we ate and cleaned up, Matt made the executive decision that we would go to the nearest Crate & Barrel that sold furniture and purchase the daybed I've been coveting for several months now, so we can finally redo the guest room. So it was off to Tyson's Corner, VA for the day, after I did the requisite packing of Matt's car with a snack and drink and book and magazine and knitting. (I don't claim to be sane, people.)

I had a great time at the Crate & Barrel, though I will say that perusing furniture typically makes me want to move into a new house and decorate all over again. I've always been the sort that buys pieces rather than sets of furniture, and I think it is beginning to show. Although I will say that my house is starting to look lived in, in that cozy grab-a-magazine-from-the-stack-and-put-your-feet-up kind of way. I'm almost looking forward to crisp fall weather, when I can add a light blanket to the mix.

After Crate & Barrel, we went to the Tyson's Corner Mall, where I would've been happy to update my wardrobe had I not been a little freaked out by the amount of the daybed, trundle, and trundle mattress for which we had just sprung. But I did get a purple cardigan from H&M and a small Circa notebook from Levenger. On clearance!

For dinner, we went to The Cheesecake Factory at Tyson's II and (finally!) used the gift certificates Mom gave us for our birthday. It worked out nearly perfectly: the certificates covered all but sixty-one cents of dinners, drinks, and desserts. I was, of course, stuffed and exhausted by the time we got home. Matt drove the long way around the beltway so I could see Washington National Harbor (since Mom announced that we could take her there next, the saucy little minx). That place is frighteningly large, but I'm sure we'll take her when some more stores open.

Anyway, my long-winded point is that the daybed will be delivered in two weeks and I'm finally going to get to redo the guest room, so no more Mommy sleeping on an Aerobed on the floor, and I can finally invite Stine and Marc (MISTER and MISTRESS!) to visit. It's so funny to think how you get to a point where you have your own home, and can do what you please within your own four walls. I have a pretty terrible memory, but I do recall moving into my first apartment with my college roommate, thinking it would be a miracle if I managed to pay my portion of the rent every month, and being surprised every month when I did. (It wasn't much later that Matt moved in as well; shockingly enough, ten years ago!) I suppose it sneaks up on everyone that way: you aren't sure you can handle it, but do the best you can, and gradually take on more responsibilities, and move along largely unconscious of your own progress, and eventually are startled by the realization that you are grown, with your own things and your own life. And, if you are lucky, your own guest room.

No comments: