Sunday, June 29, 2008

Skinny Bitch

Let me save you some trouble if you are going to read this: the main message is to go vegan and organic.

Many of you know I was a vegetarian for about ten years and recently began eating a little bit of meat. But really, not much. I'd say that the majority of the animals I eat are still... eggs. I buy organic, hormone- and antibiotic- free, pasture-raised meat. I try to buy organic produce when possible. A lot of my produce this time of year comes from farmstands. And I'm mistrustful of government agencies, such as the EPA and USDA (there for the farmers, NOT those who consume their offerings). So you think I'd love this book, right? Not so much.

While I loved French Women Don't Get Fat for it's simple, supportive message from a (kinda) everyday person, I didn't as much care for the harsh criticisms given by two self-proclaimed former-modeling-industry "bitches." An example of how they address their readers: "You need to exercise, you lazy shit." That makes me want to get right up and do as they say. Though that didn't bother me as much as the fact that the chapter on "Sugar is the Devil" begin with an illustration of a cupcake with horns and a tail.

Darn it, I LOVE cupcakes.
(And truffles...)
That said, there was some good information in this book, and if it works for you, I'm all for it. The info in "Have No Faith" can open your eyes to the power of politics and lobbiests; they are motivated by dollars, not your health. They have some decent menu ideas in the Let's Eat chapter, though I am not a big fan of most fake meat... it's just another engineered food. I eat it occasionally, but don't want it to be a major part of my diet.

My biggest takeaway will be to cut back on dairy. (Partly because I have noticed it's creating a lot of mucus in my throat lately. Gross. Also partly because cow's milk grows a 90 lb calf into a 2,000 cow in two years, and I don't need that kind of growth support, thank you very much. Third, the list of problems linked to dairy makes your head spin.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love the specs, VIBW

Jen said...

*grin* They are new! I've taken to wearing them on Sundays, especially if we stay home. But I have no peripheral vision with them, so don't expect to see them on a movie night!