Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Slow Down, Baby!

Evelyn's daycare is closed the week between Christmas and New Year's, and neither Matt nor I can take that week off to take care of her. So, his Mom is going to babysit for us. And she is THRILLED! She was telling Matt how she wants to get her a crib and a carseat and a playpen and a bouncer or swing and toys and and and...

I told him she needs to slow down! We can supply her with our Pack n' Play and swing and rocker and get an extra base for Evie's carseat. And I told him to remind her that she is babysitting AFTER Christmas, so if she wants to get Evie toys she should make them Christmas presents, not an entire set of after-Christmas presents. Then I tried to think of where she's be developmentally by the time Christmas rolls around, and my heart broke a little.

By Christmas, my little baby should have better vision, and like things in color rather than just black and white. She'll like to explore textures. She should be able to grasp her toys. (And necklaces and hair and anything else that will fit in her hand.) She'll be able to bring things to her mouth, and will be exploring her world by tasting everything. She'll be able to sit up, and likely to roll over, and she'll be able to play independently for brief periods. It'll be a sorrow and a relief to not have to entertain her all the time. Or not to have to work so hard to elicit a few beautiful toothles smiles!

She's already grown out of her newborn clothes, is growing out of her 0-3 month clothes, and will be growing out of her 3-6 month clothes. My camera can hardly keep up. I'm afraid I'm going to miss something, especially now that she's headed to daycare. She's changing so fast! Slow down, baby!

No comments: