Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Lost Symbol

Believe it or not, I've had the chance to read in between feeding, diapering, rocking, and trying to get some sleep. Months ago, I put a hold for The Lost Symbol at my local library; I got it a few days after it was released.



I find all of Dan Brown's books hard to put down, so I was bound to like this one (though I still like Angels & Demons best). Admittedly, his writing is formulaic, but it's quite the complicated formula, with lots of interesting factoids and curious historic tidbits. So what if the "twist" was predictable, and the doctrine after the climax was superfluous.


I have to admit, some of the things Dan Brown writes about gets me wondering. This time, his provoking idea is that being created in God's image refers to the mind rather than the body; that all men are thus gods; and that if we all put our thoughts towards the same goal, the resulting mental force could create change in the physical world. (I imagine the Institute of Noetic Sciences is getting a lot more web traffic lately.) Think mind over matter really works? I'll meditate over the changing table and let you know!

No comments: