Saturday, May 23, 2009

Chocolat

Court loaned me Chocolat after I had checked out Joanne Harris' My French Kitchen, not realizing the cookbook author and the novelist were one and the same. It was a quick, good, somewhat dark read, which I wasn't expecting. My expectations were tainted a bit by the movie version; one of my top ten favorites, one that I put in when I want to watch something light-hearted, with little to no conflict, that makes me warm and happy (and hungry). There's a sequel to the book, The Girl with No Shadow, but I doubt I'll read it... I can't have the movie version messed with that much!

I should caveat that I'm typically one of those people who think that the book is always better than the movie, with few exceptions; and, had I read this book first, I might have thought that the movie version was sacrilege. But in this case, I prefer it this way. How many movies can you say are light and happy and sexy and have a great soundtrack and Johnny Depp? Yeah, I rest my case.

No comments: