Monday, May 4, 2009

Busy Nesting

I’ve had a busy few weekends! Last weekend, I planted some large impatiens and some tiny white border flowers (can’t recall the name right this moment but I think it begins with an “A”) in my yard, then went to Mark’s and planted some hostas and regular-sized impatiens. My arms felt like they could fall off after that.

(Mark, I read Digital Fortress that Sunday. I’m ready for his next book now!)

Matt and I also took a trip to the Annapolis Mall to visit Pottery Barn Kids, and picked out some just-right furniture for the baby’s room. It’s simple and white and well-built. The crib can turn into a toddler bed, and the dresser can accommodate a changing tray while she’s in diapers. It’s more than I had hoped to spend, but something that should last her until she’s a teenager. We also got her the cutest bird lamp I’ve ever seen, and a Sleep Sheep.

This weekend, we had Empire Today give us an estimate for new carpet in all three bedrooms, then started to make way for the baby! We cleared out all six bookshelves in the office and moved half to the guest room and half to the basement, then painted the room a vibrant, happy peachy-orangey-pink. The white furniture is really going to pop in there! And we plan to have baby blue accents, like bedding and drapes and decorations. I can’t wait to get furniture in the room and to sit in there and rock and daydream.

Next weekend, I want to put together furniture (if we get it that early), look into getting Bob’s old rocking chair restored, go to the Goodwill and get rid of some old furniture and clothes and miscellanea, and go to the used bookstore to try to trade three boxes of books we’ve agreed to let go of in exchange for some baby books. I’ve been gathering too many youth books from our shelves, like Peter Pan and The Secret Garden, and need some baby ones. I remember loving Dr. Suess and Golden Books when I was very young; I wonder what our little girl will like...

No comments: