Sunday, July 6, 2008

Three Days for the Fourth!

Thank the heavens, a three-day weekend. I really needed it. Friday morning, Matt made perfect little pancakes for breakfast, and we sat outside and ate and chatted and relaxed. I puttered around the garden a bit and he downloaded some iTunes, then we headed to my aunt's Dunkirk home, to visit family and float in her pool. Bob and I settled in some of her floats, each put our feet on the other's float, and drifted around. (Matt didn't get a picture, so you'll have to settle for one of my cousin, Matt, Bob, and mom:

We had some food and wrapped things up just as it was beginning to rain. The lightening was pretty amazing, but it made me glad mom was safely in the car with us! (She doesn't like storms.) Back at her house, she handed over Grandma's copy of Audition, and we trudged across the street to Grandma's, so Matt and I could pick up the Sleep Number bed she didn't want anymore. (We are eventually going to redo the guest room. Especially if we are going to have Stine and Marc visit!) On the way home, Matt and I saw some fireworks, but didn't stop. Instead, we watched the fireflies give their own show in the back yard.


Saturday, I let Matt sleep in while I curled up with the book. Matt made breakfast (a poached egg, bread with smashed avacado and fresh cilantro on top, and slices of peach) and -- bless his heart -- did the laundry while I read a bit more. We took a little outing to Target where I purchased three pairs of shorts ALL ABOVE THE KNEE. This is a big moment for me that started this morning, when I took a pair of capris and had Matt cut them into shorts because I only had one other decent pair. Matt bought some more khakis and polos for work.


We peeked into Michael's where I keep coveting the same two books (Weekend Knitting and One Skein, the latter which I told him I want delivered with a bag of sale yarn from Woolworks), then moved on to Best Buy. We also went to the B&N at the Avenue, where Matt and I got frozen lemonade drinks and shared a treat. I looked for good books to add to my ongoing "must read" list, but found out had read or marked down pretty much everything in the best sellers section. Then to Ann Taylor Loft, where I got an orange tank to wear to an upcoming Planit happy hour. (And a blue tank. And another shirt.)


At that point, Matt was heading to watch the UFC thing with his cousin and some friends, so I picked myself a salad from the back yard and went back to reading my book. (When he got home after 1am, I was in bed, still reading.)


Sunday was a quiet day. I had some cereal for breakfast and read while Matt packed for a quick jaunt to Pennsylvania. We sat at the table for a bit and chatted, then I sent him off to the Orioles game with a coworker, from where he'd head to the airport. Ed and Steve popped in a for a bit to learn how to use one of our digital cameras, which I am letting them borrow. Heaven knows what kind of pictures we're going to see when the camera comes back! My only regret in letting them borrow the camera is that when Matt is gone, I usually use the self-timer to take a picture of myself when I'm ready for work, and I send it to him in the evenings. I know he'll miss that, but at least this will be a shorter trip. In the meantime, I have sweet-sweet kittens and tomato plants. And work tomorrow. Yuck!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

mmm, yummy lettuce leaves!
i'm 'free' this weekend to visit woolworks on sunday if you'd like...

Jen said...

Especially since I am now the proud owner of both of those knitting books!!