Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Surprise Party (and other weekend tales)

Last weekend, we were back at Aunt Shirley's, for a surprise party celebrating Grandma's 80th birthday. Besides her offspring and their families (which now totals something like thirty-three people, not including boy- and girl-friends), there was her surviving brother, sister, and sisters-in-law, and some of their families. And the majority of us were waiting on Shirley's front porch for Aunt Carol and Uncle Jimmy to bring Grandma, supposedly to pick Shirley up for dinner.

The event was quite a success: Grandma was surprised, there was tons of food and people and presents, and it was good swimming pool weather. (I didn't get in, but the kids and I took about equal pleasure in their squirting my legs with water guns, and Bob tried to soak me via a cannon-ball. Unsuccessfully.)

This weekend was mainly a quiet one at home. We patronized the local produce stand (where I got a sack full of goodies for $7.75), staked up our Early Girl tomato plant (which is now bigger than I am!), visited Matt's mother and grandmother (and ended up being there too late to go to Carlos' surprise party, for which I'm now grateful considering how late he was to it!), did laundry, Matt packed for his trip to Kansas, and I finished reading In Defense of Food.

I've been a bit high strung lately, and am hoping for a peaceful week. I'll do my usual Whole Foods trip tomorrow after work, go to the movies with Carlos on Tuesday, spend Wednesday evening knitting, reading, or watching one of the Netflix films I have at home. Thursday is the Planit happy hour, and I hope to leave early to retrieve Matt from the airport. Then, TGIF... I'm already ready for it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i wasn't that late

Jen said...

Aw, 'Los! Just a bit late, so it'll let you lord it over me. Birthday Meanie. :p

Unknown said...

Sorry, Cinderella!