Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'd Trade My Husband for a Housekeeper

First of all, I want to point out that this book is subtitled "loving your marriage after the baby carriage" and is about getting to the point where you WOULDN'T want to trade your husband for the afore mentioned housekeeper. I think Matt freaked out a little when he saw the title of the book.

Although I liked that the book is based on interviews of married moms and dads, I didn't find the book terribly insightful. It didn't have much content, and what content there was VERY liberally sprinkled with interviewee quotes, "dirty little secrets" (some eyebrow-raising, others just sad), and quizzes.

The main messages can be boiled down to the subtitles of each chapter: Expectations versus Reality, Make the Choice to Be Happy, Communication Is Key, Prioritizing Your Relationship, and Make Sex a True Investment in Your Marriage.

Nonetheless, if you have or are having kids, I think it's worthwhile to make the effort to read books like this one even if it's just a reminder of what you already know: that you can't do it all, that you need to communicate with your significant other, that you need to make time to be a partner (trust me, your child will benefit from the good example!), and that sex begets sex (a lot of ladies aren't "in the mood" until they're already engaging in some sort of sexual behavior, so jump in... you'll probably enjoy it!).

No comments: