Thursday, June 11, 2009

All's Well That Eats Well

I had a long, rough day that started with waiting 90 minutes to see my doctor and ended with me nearly plowing into an MTA bus two blocks from my office and at 8pm. I called Matt and he offered to help with dinner, which was supposed to be fish poached in citrus with an orange/celery/chickpea salad and cous cous. "Or," I sighed, "you could just throw in the frozen pizza."
To his defense, Matt was also just getting home and was getting a ton of stuff out of the basement to take to the Salvation Army. But I was still displeased to smell pizza when I walked through the front door. My mom would choose pizza as her last supper. She loves the stuff. I don't. I like pizza, but my favorite foods are all a little closer to their natural states. Like arugula, summer tomatoes, or most any kind of fruit. Or fish and oranges and chickpeas. Which is exactly what we had for dinner.



In all fairness, it took less than 20 minutes to zest and peel and slice the oranges, poach the fish, make cous cous, and throw the salad together. Matt helped with the zesting and chopping, and in the end chose the well-balanced dinner over pizza. But he can eat that for dinner tomorrow, while I'm at Ixia... I hope the baby ends up with Matt's nose, and my taste in food!

No comments: