Monday, June 16, 2008

You Say "Tomato"...

...I say, "Homegrown, baby!"

This morning, I got up all grumpy and tired, having had a hard time sleeping alone. (Again, darn it!) So I dressed myself nicely and did my make up and fed the kittens and went outside to check on the garden. And what did I see? A nice, red, ripe tomato looking back at me! My very first tomato of the season. It was so pretty I wanted to sit in the yard all day, admiring it. But instead, I grabbed a hold of it and tugged it off the vine. And admired it. It looked perfect, like the mutant clone tomatoes you see in the grocery store. Only mine wasn't harvested while it was still hard and green and refrigerated and shipped from Canada. In fact, it was on the vine at 8am and in my tummy at 1pm.


So today for lunch, I had a lovely fresh tomato with lovely fresh basil (yup, from the garden... although it's not QUITE as exciting as a tomato, I really love my homegrown basil) and some spreadable cheese on fresh bread from Panera. It was pretty fabulous, though I think I need a knife to keep at work, if I'm going to make a habit of this.

And I got lots of laughs because my tomato plant is a "Better Bush." Next year, I'm growing Brandywines. (I hear they taste better, anyway.)

No comments: