Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I got off early on Friday. Yay! Summer hours means I get out at 3:30 on most Fridays. I'm going to try to take advantage of that. I was a little hungry, so we sat at the bar at Kobe and had a drink (dirty martini, three olives), some sushi and conversation with and without the bartender. Then we went to Ulta, where I got a (very) red lipstick and new sunglasses, then we went to Ann Taylor Loft to spend the gift certificate 'Los gave me for my birthday. I got three tank tops and an adorable cropped jacket from the sale section, and treated myself to a robin's-egg blue dress. (Hey, I have a wedding to go to next weekend!) And to make up for my wild ways, I made us a great dessert of raspberry crumble, baked in individual ramekins and served with a bit of ice cream.

Saturday, we slept in a little, M made breakfast (which we did NOT eat outside, ahem.) then cleaned up and watched Blue Planet for a while, then worked up the resolve to tackle the back yard. And by "tackle the back yard," I mean I sat reading Vogue and M dug up some over-grown bushes. Though to be fair, I did some planting afterwards:

Six cabbage plants, five tomato plants (none of which will grow because we have NO sun in our yard, but I can't help trying), two cayenne pepper plants (not likely to grow), a watermelon plant (also doomed for failure), five types of basil (cinnamon, lemon, purple, sweet and genovese), two types of mint (peppemint chocolate and Kentucky Colonel, the mint julep mint!), chives, curly parsley, Arp rosemary, pineapple sage, French thyme, and Alaska nasturtium (I love the idea of edible flowers in a salad but failed my attempt to grow this last year).

And a tiny lavender plant out front. Lavender holds a special place in my heart.

After all that, we took showers and I threw on a dress and we sat at the bar at Olive Garden to use up gift certificates from Christmas. My pasta plate was so big, I ate it for dinner and we BOTH had it for lunch the next day. After dinner we went to Lowe's to look for cilantro (they didn't have it) and to get a rain gauge and a hummingbird feeder. Mainly to attract bees! Then I baked cupcakes to take to Sunday's cookout.
Sunday morning, M got Panera take-out so we could have breakfast in the back yard. And it's a good thing we did! As part of our usual bird-watching adventure, a baby starling flew onto the back deck and started fussing at M. He tip-toed in the house, got some bread, came back (who'd think the bird would still be there?), and offered him some. The bird seemed pretty offended, and FLEW ONTO M'S ARM to tell him off a little better.

I, of course, ran in the house for the camera.

The bird hung out there for quite a while, squawking angrily. M made me dig up a worm for him; he ate it right off of M's arm. Then flew on me. Of course, I ate that right up. And after baby-talking to my new friend for a few minutes, the neighbor from two doors down came out, saw us, and announced that was the baby bird he had rescued two weeks ago! After some coaxing and offerings of worms, the bird eventually flew to the neighbor's, had some more tasty little worms, then went off exploring the world.
Bird adventure aside, I dyed some icing and decorated the cupcakes with flag designs,
then freshed up and headed off to Aunt S's. The drive took a little more than an hour and we were pretty much the last to arrive. J's kids were actually braving the pool. My grandmother? Yeah, she braved a ride in the sidecar of my uncle's Harley. Too funny!

We left S's around 7pm and went to Grandma's to meet her new cat, Buddy. Buddy is about six years old, and the perfect companion for Grandma. Of course, I don't think he's nearly as cute as my Alex (Angel is more devious than cute), but he is a lovely, fat, happy tabby. We visited Mom for a few more hours before heading home at around 10pm.

Monday... a day off!!!

1 comment:

Markorama said...

we did not get summer hours this year, there may be a mutiny. Good way for the new CEO to piss off everyone right off the bat.

We still need to have lunch soon.