Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Foodiephobia!!

Here's another good Iconowatch microtrend. I told C this reminds me of how I feel about her...and I imagine I'm not the only one!!


OBSERVATION
Scared cookless: Foodiephobia takes shape


WHAT'S HAPPENING

•In a recent blog post for TheAtlantic.com, Lesley Freeman Riva wrote about a phenomenon she calls Foodiephobia: When Friends Fear Feeding You (5.26.10).

•Freeman Riva describes how she happily entertains (and cooks for) friends at her house, but then she began to notice that people rarely reciprocate. Finally, some of them started to admit things like, "Oh, I'd be too nervous to cook for you."
•Because people think of her as a talented and breezy cook, they're hesitant to open themselves up to possible judgment.



WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS

•As foodies proliferate but some consumers stay behind in the skill and interest department, watch for heightened sensitivity in the home-entertaining space.

•Many consumers lack (but seek) the tools to keep up with the foodies, and they want any attempts to appear effortless.

No comments: