Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Swear, It Wasn't for the Presents

At some obscene hour last Saturday morning, I was rocking the baby and singing "Happy Birthday" for the fifth time. She made a beautiful (if wide-awake) five-week-old. And I needed the sleep because we were having guests over to meet her that day.

Our little open house was from 2pm to 5pm, and we had quite the turnout. And quite the spread! I put out a spread of wine, beer, sodas, bread, crackers, pita chips, five gourmet cheeses (plus cheddar, Bob's favorite), pepperoni, salami, ham, smoked salmon, thinly sliced apples and pears, celery, green peppers, baby carrots, quartered radishes, chutney, hummus, mustard, deviled eggs, spinach balls, olives, M&Ms, cheesecake... I could barely fit it all on the table!

Visitors included Matt's mother and aunt; Bob; Viki and Julia; Court and VJ; Ed and Jen; Carlos; Mark; Doug, Tess, and Emma; Brian, Lucy, their three kids and a toddler Lucy babysits; Tom and Lin...I feel like I'm forgetting someone! While it was supposed to be an open house, most people stayed the entire time. I felt it was a success; very encouraging for hosting my first party. Plus, I got to see people I've missed for quite some time: Carlos and I were cheated out of one more pre-baby movie, Mark and I missed out on one more lunch, and I hadn't seen Ed and Jen or Viki and Julia in nearly a year!

And of course, there were presents. Viki and Julia gave us hangers, a first Christmas ornament, and a calender to record events in Evelyn's first year. Mark gave us a custom-made PBJT onsie. (I'll post a picture soon; let's see who "gets it"); the Rays gave us a stroller accessory kit; the Sporrers gave us a gift certificate to Target; Tom and Lin gave Evelyn a pink sweatsuit with bunny ears on the hoodie. And I still haven't gotten out the thank you cards for the hand-knit sweater Christie sent, the bunny and bookends from Mary Robin and Gary, the books from Cameron and Peter, or the outfit from Aunt Pat. And two of our guests mentioned having gifts that are in transit! I know it sounds hokey, but I really am touched by the outpouring of love and generosity we've experienced since Evelyn was born. She's a special baby, and I appreciate all of my very special friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a PBJT onesy? that sounds awesome