Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring Is Springing!

Yesterday was SO NICE! At least the part where I spent a few hours sitting in the back yard, listening to the birds, watching a pair of finches build their nest under the back awning, knitting a beret, and soaking up the sun.

Matt and I are thinking of turning the back yard into a full-on veggie garden. I may actually do it this year... I don't know why I've cared about having a little patch of grass for so long! I'm debating different ways of doing it. Plant right in the grass? Build garden beds all over? Maybe just a bunch of containers, so if we ever sell the place, we can just pack them up and the new owners can replant grass seeds? What do you think??

This year, we've bought little peat pellets and seeds, and I've starting germinating five plants each of sweet peas (my and Matt's birth flower), cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, arugula (my favorite spring/summer green. I could eat it every day!), and pumpkins (for Matt, who looks forward to Halloween every year). I also have seeds waiting for tomatoes, basil, cilantro, chives, oregano... and I THINK that's it for now.

My little "greenhouse" holds about 25 peat pellets at a time and it takes about two weeks to get sprouts, so I'll likely do seedlings every other week or so. And, I'll probably have extra tomato, cherry tomato, pea, cucumber, basil and pumpkin plants (assuming I don't kill them shortly after they sprout) so let me know if you want any!

And no, I'm not the only one suddenly interested in a garden. Here's an article to prove it: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=103038

No comments: