Sunday, August 24, 2008

Knitting Olympics

Now that I successful knit a ribbed scarf (which only took me about six months), I decided to accept the Knitting Olympics challenge: cast on a new project during the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics, and be done by the Closing Ceremonies. So Court and I picked a project, went to Woolworks, got some yarn, and guess what?



I did it!

My project was the Split Neck Cap Sleeve Tee from Fitted Knits, and I used Jaeger Roma, a viscose/nylon/angora (bunnies!) blend. I learned all kinds of new skills, from starting a new ball of yarn, to knitting on circular and double-pointed needles, how raglan sleeves are constructed:
placing stitches on scrap yarn and picking them up later, picking up stitches on a finished edge, increasing by knitting front to back, yarning over, knitting two stitches together, and seaming eyelets into picot edges:

The pattern calls for a second color to be used for the trim around the arms, bottom, and neck, but I used the same color throughout. My only complaints are that it's a little wider than I anticipated, and I am not crazy how how the open neck looks. I wish I didn't add the extra stitches required if I had used a second color. I haven't found a good clasp yet, and am using a pin in the meantime.
That said, I learned a ton of stuff and am very excited about the idea of starting up a new knitting project! My next skill will be learning how to cable, and I just purchased a great pinkish wool to make a ribbed and cabled scarf.

No comments: